Homemade Vetkoek Recipe. Is a favorite south African Homemade vetkoek recipe that is versatile and made with different fillings. Simple jam or curry mince filling.
- 4 x 250 ml flour (cups)
- 7 ml yeast (1 1/2 tsp)
- 5 ml sugar (1 teaspoon)
- 3 ml salt (1/2 tsp)
- 600 ml warm water or warm milk(or mixed)
- Oil to fry in.
- Place oil to warm up on stove top later.
- Sift dry ingredients together first.
- Then add the milk a little bit at a time to make a smooth mixture, easier handling.
- Knead the dough till elastic for about 8 minutes.
- Smear some oil over the dough and place covered in a warm place till the dough has doubled in size. should take about 2 hours
- Knead the dough down and cut into strips and knead them again, let dough cuts rise a little.
- The oil will be heated and place the portions into the deep oil, to fry until they turn over themselves (or turn them)and are golden brown on both sides.
- Remove when done and let them cool on paper towel to drain the oil.
- Cut when cooler and fill with your desired filling
Keywords: homemade traditional vetkoek recipe